Ascoli Piceno offers a wide review of monuments and Malatesta fortress is its most characteristic and singular place of interest. It is situated within the ancient walls but almost decentrated in relation to public life places. It has gone almost intact through the history. It was built to control the entry to the town that is the Cecco bridge. It has always been a great relevance military structure, mostly in the period of Galeotto Malatesta (the town tyrant) of which it has still the name. In XVI century it was renovated and enlarged by Antonio da Sangallo il Giovane on the will of Pope Paul III Farnese. In XIX century it turned into the city jail, under the Vatican State Government, then the Italy Kingdom and at the end the Italian Republic.
The isolation of the fortress was due to strategic reasons but during the jail period it became very important and functioning to pledge the public stillness. Indeed it is not a modern penitentiary with high walls and watchtowers for the surveillance as the current Marino del Tronto jail but a building made for the war and modified for a different role. In the course of time it has been included in the new urban area to create the modern Porta Maggiore district but the concern has increased because in April, 1963 the Field Marshal wrote to the Republic Prosecutor about the disrepair of the “wolfmouth” windows, shutters and other bad conditions that increased the interior law and order.
In 1925 the football ground was built in the area close to the fortress and later a Gym. But the Field Marshal was also worried about these sport structures because “every day teachers and students come to practice the gymnastics in front of female section that has no shutters so they are used to communicate towards outside
Condividi questo articolo sui tuoi canali social: